Bad Decisions (Growing Up)

I used to think, when I was just a child
How nice it'd be to have my way a while.
To be, or not to be, would be strictly up to me.
Those thoughts of freedom often made me smile.

I'd stay up late at night, withdraw from school.
With all my friends and buddies, act the fool.
Each day of life to me, one big party, it would be.
"Do what you like" would be my golden rule.

As time went by I grew of working age
And I was ready now to earn a wage.
At last I would be free, independant as could be.
It won't be long before I'll leave this cage.

Adulthood came, and then my childhood schemes.
I quit that school, left home, pursued my dreams.
I looked for all my chums; I found they all were bums;
Was this my my fate? Just what does all this mean?

I worked real hard just to make ends meet
At times it was a struggle just to eat.
I worked so hard to live, I had no time to give
To making all those dreams come true for me.

Now middle-aged and in the prime of life
I live a life of struggle, toil and strife.
I look back now and then to see what could have been
Had I not been so eager to take flight.

I'd stay at home, enjoy my teen-aged years.
I'd be a good example to my peers.
I'd choose my friends with care; of drugs I would beware.
I'd stay in school and face life without fear.

It's now too late to change those selfish dreams;
Those foolish, often silly childhood schemes.
My "Bed of Roses" grew into a thorn-bed too.
Take heed and see and learn what all this means.

Now I'm sitting on the bottom of the world
Just looking up at where I have been.
My bad decisions now at me are hurled
By memories of folly, now and then.