To Love and Laugh and Live (Judith's song of anticipation) - History

Judith Hancock was the beloved of William Clark. He promised to propose to her when he returned from one of his journeys. She sings this song in anticipation of his coming.


This waiting is making me shiver.
It’s driving me almost insane,
My soul wants to leap and quiver;
This anticipation’s a pain.

I’m trying to picture his face,
His eyes, how they pierced my soul!
But soon all these pictures will fade.
I just want him here to hold.


(Refrain)
All I ever really want is to laugh and love and live;
All I ever really need is to feel his arms around me;
All I ever want to do is to kiss his lips and to give
All the love I have to offer him so free.

(Bridge)
How long can my heart keep this pace
With the excitement I’m feeling inside?
How long can I picture his face
As I’m standing with him as his bride?