Tomorrow Will Be a New Day (Love song by York) - History

Tomorrow Will Be a New Day
(York’s love song)
York was a slave of William Clark who accompanied him in his travels. York sings this love song to a slave girl with whom he has fallen in love. He sings to her just before his departure with Clark.


“I’ll be back before you know it,” is an easy thing to say
But can be much, much harder when love is in the way.
In matters of our country, a year is very near.
In matters of the heart we find that an hour’s like a year.

So what am I to say when I leave this place?
What kind of truth do I give her, until again I see her face?

Refrain:
Tomorrow will be a new day
And every day thereafter will be like jewels along your way;
A rain drop here, a snow flake there, a fire- fly taking flight
Will be collected by your memories as I leave this place tonight.

Hold them ‘til I return, love.
And use them all as decorations as they are jewels from above.
Display them here, display them there on our very special night
And let them guide us in our journey in our life as man and wife.

(Bridge)
I will return, love, please wait for me.
Then we’ll be wed, love, eternally.

(Back to refrain)